06 sep Corporate Legal Counsel (JV with focus on sustainability) – Synvina
Synvina is a joint venture of BASF (51%) en Avantium (49%) established for the production and marketing of furandicarboxylic (FDCA) as a main building block for the new polymer polyethulenefuranoate (PEF), being biologic plastic. PEF has multiple application opportunities and a better performance compared to conventional plastics and can be used for various downstream products for different applications. For the production of FDCA a plant is intended to be build in Antwerp, at the Avantium premises. Establishment of Synvina is a starting point to build a world-leading position in FDCA and PEF.
Synvina is headquartered in Amsterdam and employes 65 people from 15 different nationalities. An ambitious company willing to expand and become a world leader in this industry. Currently Synvina is looking for an independent, strong and enthusiastic Corporate Legal Counsel being the trusted advisor to the Management Team.
The Corporate Legal Counsel reports to the CEO of Synvina and works intensively with the Commercial Director (CD), Financial Director (FD) and Chief Operating Officer (COO) as well as with the Legal Counsels of the shareholders.
As Corporate Legal Counsel you will be the advocate for Synvina, both externally as well as internally towards the shareholders. In this role you will also be responsible for advising the Management Team on all corporate & commercial legal topics, reviewing and drafting corporate and commercial contracts, which contain strong technological and intellectual property components and covering strategic alliances as well as corporate governance related issues. Furthermore you will participate in contract negotiations and provide legal and strategic advice to internal business clients.
The Corporate Legal Counsel is expected to catch problems not traditionally associated with legal advice, early on and is considered, more than an attorney in a traditional advisor’s role, as a business partner. The role requires interaction with the company’s departments overseeing audit and (safety, financial) compliance functions ensuring alignment with the objectives of the business and any (legal/local/applicable law/contract) compliance.
Engaging sound (legal) judgment and life/professional experience are a prerequisite.
The corporate legal counsel operates on the cutting edge of legal, commercial and operational disciplines. The function requires good commercial assessment skills combined with a firm grasp of the legal environment, good knowledge and understanding of Synvina’ business model, services and systems and the communicative skills to deal with and give direction/advice to people with a multitude of backgrounds.
- 10 or more years of (relevant) experience as a lawyer in a law firm first and in an international business environment (preferably chemical or technical environment), as an in-house legal counsel thereafter;
- solid knowledge of corporate and commercial law in the broadest sense of the word;
- excellent analytical skills and ability to explain legal issues to non-legal clients (often with a technical or commercial background);
- background on corporate governance;
- ability to act effectively both within the company (vis a vis management, supervisory board, shareholders and internal clients) and in negotiations vis a vis (strategic) business partners;
- hands-on in performing all legal responsibilities (such as contract drafting, negotiating, drafting Supervisory Board minutes etc.);
- good drafting skills concerning a wide variety of commercial and corporate contracts;
- eager and curious, interested in learning and understanding, business / organizational specifics and strategy development of Synvina
- excellent business and organization sense and a pragmatic approach, focused on making things as simple and easy as possible;
- comfortable in working independently;
- interest in- and potential to gradually develop a more senior role;
- multicultural sensitivity and experience is a strong plus;
- fluent in English and Dutch (and possibly other languages);
- highly motivated and pro-active professional.
- proactive, strategic thinking, open and creative mind set
- high level of interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- solution and result-oriented with a high degree of self-organization
- customer oriented with a good feeling for business aspects
- team player (fit with Synvina)
- The overall advice to the company on its legal rights and obligations
- Provision of legal advice, analysis and judgment to business decision makers
- The review of internal/corporate governance and external contracts and documentation to ensure compliance with the laws within the concerned field of legal expertise and/or jurisdiction(s)
- The coordination, or facilitation of negotiating and drafting terms of engagement with (strategic) business partners, customers, vendors, suppliers, etc., whether based on standard or non-standard terms.
- Ensuring coherence of such terms of engagement in all commercial, legal, technical and financial elements.
- The provision of initial legal advice and input, and, to the extent the required (in-depth) subject matter expertise cannot be provided by herself, acting as the point of contact/coordinator of externally acquired subject matter expertise
- Interaction with the relevant players (internal and external) in the field of intellectual property strategy and management and responsibility for performing or overseeing any deriving legal IP action.
- The coordination (in consultation with the CEO) of the selection process of outside counsel and subsequent coordination of services rendered on specific subject matter legal expertise and assistance and advice in connection with (major) transactions.
- The assumption of corporate secretarial and advisory roles.
A challenging role within a promising business concept (based on sustainability) of a joint venture with a young and dynamic team. Unique possibilities to learn, to grow and to develop skills within. Excellent remuneration and employee benefits package.
If the above appeals to you and you wish to apply, please send or mail your letter and résumé to Terry Verheij. For further information you can contact our office. Discretion is guaranteed.