30 jul Director Outside Counsel Management (worldwide) – Philips (Successfully filled)
Philips is a world leading health technology company with a vision to make life better for people
worldwide through meaningful innovation, creating a healthier, more connected society. Philips’
80,000 brilliant, like-minded, passionate and diverse team members around the world deliver on this
promise while transforming themselves personally and professionally.
Philips’ Legal Function spans a global network of some 170 professionals operating as one integrated,
internal law firm for Philips’ businesses worldwide. To further develop as a state of the art legal
operation and organization, Philips Legal is looking for an Director Outside Counsel Management who
will manage and further optimize Philips’ outside counsel relations and cooperation worldwide.
The role of Outside Counsel Manager is a new position, established to manage and further optimize
the global outside counsel relations and worldwide cooperation on behalf of Philips’ Legal function.
The Legal Management / Legal Operations domain, including Outside Counsel Management is
focused on optimizing impact, coverage, quality and efficiency. This makes the Outside Counsel
Management position a very interesting and challenging role in a dynamic international environment
within an empowered team of business driven legal professionals.
The responsibilities range from building solid relationships with senior management, both within
Philips and within law firms, to managing all operational activities related to outside counsel management.
The position covers all outside counsel activity worldwide with a sizable role for Dutch and US based law
firms. The outside counsel manager will work closely with other business functions,
will be based in Amsterdam (The Netherlands) and will report to senior legal management.
• Panel selection and management including optimizing basic fee arrangements, operational
alignment, management information, metrics/performance and value added services such as
free advisory, secondments, inhouse counsel training and knowledge sharing/management.
• Project pitching and monitoring including optimizing project specific alternative fee
arrangements / value based pricing, alignment of firm and inhouse operations, project
management, project sourcing & staffing and (electronic) performance reporting / budget
control / billing.
• Continuous performance evaluation and development aimed at optimizing impact, coverage,
client satisfaction and (total) cost levels.
We are looking for candidates with
• at least 8 years of relevant working experience
• experience and affinity with legal departments and their way of working
• experience and affinity with law firms and their way of working
• experience with panel, pitching, contracting, management and evaluation of professional
• affinity with working in close cooperation with other Philips business functions such as
• experience with building and maintaining relations on both an operational and senior
management (partner) level, in an international context
• excellent negotiating skills on a senior level
As a person you
• have excellent business sense and a flexible way of working
• have the ability to connect with people and functions in multi-disciplinary teams
• have excellent communicating skills in English
• are comfortable with complicated matters and take rational decisions under pressure
• are able to deal with a high workload and determined to achieve high-quality business results
• are willing to travel
• have affinity with innovation and technology
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful
work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health
continuum. To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips, please visit the Working at
Philips page on the career website.
Philips offers a competitive remuneration package, a diverse and inclusive culture and will support
your further development as a legal management professional.