06 sep Legal Counsel IP – PVH (Successfully filled)
With a history going back over 130 years, PVH Corp. has excelled at growing brands and businesses with rich American heritages, becoming one of the largest global apparel companies. PVH has over 30,000 associates operating in over 40 countries with over $8 billion in revenues. The company owns the iconic Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Van Heusen, IZOD, ARROW, Speedo, Warner’s and Olga brands and market a variety of goods under these and other nationally and internationally known owned and licensed brands. PVH Europe is home to the global headquarters of Tommy Hilfiger and the European offices of Calvin Klein. The company is founded on a dynamic and fast-paced work environment that’s fueled by passion, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit. Tommy Hilfiger is one of the world’s leading designer lifestyle brands, internationally recognized for celebrating the essence of “classic American cool” style. Founded in 1985, Tommy Hilfiger delivers premium styling, quality and value to consumers worldwide with a breadth of collections including Hilfiger Collection, Tommy Hilfiger Tailored, men’s, women’s and kids’ sportswear, Tommy Hilfiger Denim, accessories, and footwear. In addition, the brand is licensed for a range of products, including fragrances, eyewear, watches and home furnishings. Tommy Hilfiger, which was acquired by PVH Corp. in 2010, has more than 17,000 associates worldwide and an extensive distribution network in over 115 countries and 1,600 retail stores. Global retail sales of the Tommy Hilfiger brand were US $6.5 billion in 2015. Calvin Klein is a global lifestyle brand that exemplifies bold, progressive ideals and a seductive, and often minimal, aesthetic. We seek to thrill and inspire our audience while using provocative imagery and striking designs to ignite the senses. Founded in 1968 by Calvin Klein and his business partner Barry Schwartz, we have built our reputation as a leader in American fashion through our clean aesthetic and innovative designs. Global retail sales of Calvin Klein products exceed $8 billion in 2015 and were distributed in more than 110 countries. Calvin Klein employs over 10,000 associates globally. In 2003, Calvin Klein was acquired by PVH Corp.
As a result of the growing success of PVH, the company will add a Legal Counsel – IP to the team. The Legal Counsel IP will join an international, dynamic close-knit legal team. The legal team currently consists of 20 people and is headed up by the VP legal affairs. The legal team is organized into two sub teams; Corporate & Commercial and Intellectual Property & Brand Protection as well as specialists in Compliance and Employment Law. The Legal Counsel IP will report to the Legal Director IP & Brand Protection who is leading a team of 6 people.
In a nutshell, the Legal Counsel IP will be responsible for all IP related cases/topics such as:
- Managing global IP litigation cases with a focus on trademarks, design and copyright – this implies managing risks by advising on strategy in these cases to preserve the interests of the company;
- Drafting and negotiating contracts of a typical IP nature, (e.g. trademark licence agreements, deeds of assignment and co-existence agreements); and
- Working together with the Corporate and Commercial team on various contracts to ensure relevant IP aspects are covered;
- From music rights to portrait rights, from copyright to trademarks, from IP in social media campaigns to celebrity deals, etc. etc.
- Serving the business’ needs by rendering services with an IP angle, from giving IP trainings to raise the level of legal awareness within the business to handling clearance requests for designs, trademark availability searches for style names and reviewing advertising, marketing, sales, and other promotional materials for proper trademark use during peak periods in close collaboration with the trademark portfolio/clearance team members.
- At least 6+ years’ experience in IP as a Dutch IP lawyer in private practice or as a Dutch IP in-house legal counsel;
- Strong experience in handling IP litigation and IP contracts;
- Ability to render legal advice with business acumen and sound judgment;
- Creative problem-solving ability by being able to think out-of-the-box;
- Eye for detail, structured mindset and accurate;
- Proactive, hands-on approach and self-starting;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and fluent level in English, both spoken and written;
- Team player who loves a (n international) working environment of work hard/play hard.
In return for your expertise and commitment, PVH will provide a fast-paced creative international environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. PVH also offers a competitive salary and benefits combined with career development opportunities within a global leader in the apparel industry.