22 jun Global Manager Legal – Enza Zaden
Breeding to feed the world! That is the goal of Enza Zaden as an international vegetable breeding organization. Simply said, the company develops new vegetable varieties. The assortment consists of 1,200 different varieties across dozens of diverse crops; from bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce to bitter gourd, hot peppers and of course onions. Enza Zaden produces the seeds of these vegetable varieties and sells them worldwide.
The company is one of the global top players for the professional market, producing and selling its seeds all over the world. The purpose of the work at Enza is to offer everyone worldwide access to healthy and varied vegetables.
Even though Enza Zaden is an international company with more than 2,500 employees worldwide, the organization is still an independent family business, which clearly shows in the business culture. People easily feel right at home and individual ideas are valued. Entrepreneurship, teamwork, and taking responsibility are central values to Enza’s mission, and employees are the heart and soul of the organization.
Please find here an animation to explain what the work of a vegetable breeding company entails, and why the people at Enza do what they do.
Following the growth of the company and it’s expanding international business, we would like to get in contact with experienced in-house lawyers for the position of Global Manager Legal.
In the newly established role of Global Manager Legal you will be empowered to add long term value to the Enza Zaden Group by proactively managing, developing and optimizing the Legal strategy; optimizing legal and commercial positions in contracts; and controlling and mitigating legal risks, all (cross)functional and at global, regional and local level.
You will be part of the Legal department management team, reporting to the General Counsel with whom you will collaborate, challenge and align to design and realize the Legal strategy in line with the Enza Zaden Group strategy and control legal risks.
Following Enza Zaden’s 2025 growth strategy, you will manage a team of legal counsel of 5, up to 10 legal professionals in the upcoming years.
Key accountabilities in the position of Global Manager Legal will be:
- Accountable for an optimal performing team, through a.o. leading, motivating, coaching, and developing assigned team members in the functional areas: Research & Development, Seed Operations, Marketing & Sales and Staff, globally.
- Develop, maintain, implement and execute a Legal strategy and year-plan (in line with the group strategy and strategy of the Legal, IP & Registrations department).
- Pro-actively manage, develop, challenge and optimize the legal and commercial positions in contracts, and control and mitigate legal risks in general, which includes:
– The development, implementation and maintenance of processes and tools to ensure that the Enza Zaden organization asks support for the relevant legal topics in a timely manner and understands the main risks, rights and obligations of such contracts;
– Implement and maintain a standardized way of preparation, review, signing, archiving and follow-up of contracts (contract management);
– Manage (potential) claims, disputes and commercial litigation (excluding IP infringment cases);
– Ensure that relevant developments in externa legal regulations are timely translated into internal policies, procedures and contracts;
– Develop and maintain a system in which relevant legal know how can be maintained and used efficiently
- Acts as a strategic business partner for the General Counsel, BoD-members, functional MT(‘s), senior leaders and Audit Committee by being a visible and pro-active linking-pin between Legal and the other functions, including providing operational support to one or more specific business lines (if and when necessary) for a transitional period.
- Be a pro-active partner in the Legal, IP & Registrations MT (together with the General Counsel, Global Manager IP&Registrations and Global Compliance Manager) and a key player in the (broad) Legal community. Form close working relationships with all relevant business partners and stakeholders for the function.
- Represents Enza Zaden Legal internally and externally in the legal domain (including lobby and participation in external working groups and projects)
- Proactively contribute to and challenge the Legal, IP & Registrations department strategy development (in alignment with the Enza Zaden Group strategy) and take leadership in implementation and execution.
In order to be able to successfully partner, challenge and support the Board of Directors (in close cooperation with the General Counsel) and other business partners on a broad range of legal topics, including important contracts and claims, you will at least have:
- A Master degree in Legal (Dutch civil law) and least 12-15 years relevant experience as a lawyer in an international, culturally-diverse business environment;
- Proven leadership capabilities and people skills;
- Persuasiveness and influencing skills towards senior management: experience with being a trusted business partner to executive management level positions;
- Extensive knowledge regarding international commercial contracting and trade;
- Business sense, with the ability to connect and to look beyond the legal scope;
- Flexibility, creativity, ability to work under time pressure and operate at all levels (boardroom to work floor);
- Excellent communication skills and ability to operate as a strong team player;
- Besides Dutch, your English needs to be outstanding both orally as well as in writing.
An international experience with more than 2,500 employees of around forty nationalities, working together to develop healthy vegetable varieties. Active participation in business processes and different management teams and room to grow professionally and personally through Enza’s Great to Grow program.
A challenging role as one of the leading lawyers in a highly empowered Legal Department, with the autonomy to lead the optimization of performance and co-create the strategic production planning. Enthusiastic colleagues, an open, informal company culture and excellent working conditions (flexible working policy).
If you wish to apply or receive any further information about this role, please contact Hielke Bruin or Judith van Haersma Buma at Voxius Executive Search, per e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or contact us at our office number (+31 85 488 0000) or cell phone numbers.