05 Mar Legal Counsel – Damen Holding B.V.
About the company
Damen Shipyards Group is established in 1927 and is a 100% Dutch family owned international group of companies which operates 34 shipbuilding and repair yards, employing 10,000 people worldwide. An international shipyard group but, at heart, still a family company.
Damen designs and builds innovative ships of excellent quality, supported by a worldwide network of sales and services including maintenance and repair & conversion facilities. Matching customers’ needs and exceeding their expectations is in the company’s DNA. Damen listens carefully to its customers and invests strongly in innovation, research and development.
The company aims to become a global market leader in the niche markets of shipbuilding, ship repair & conversion and related services, growing step by step developing quality vessels and services. Annual production value amounts to approximately EUR 2bln.
Damen delivers more than 180 vessels each year. Since 1969, Damen group companies have built more than 6,000 ships. Maintaining an average stock of 200 hulls, some already with basic outfitting, Damen can guarantee quick delivery times. The unique, standardised shipbuilding concept is known as The Damen Standard. It provides the ability to offer customers well-proven, innovative vessels for competitive prices.
In addition to ship design and shipbuilding, Damen Shiprepair & Conversion has a worldwide network of repair and conversion yards with dry docks ranging up to 420 x 80 meters. Conversion projects range from adapting vessels to today’s requirements and regulations to the complete conversion of large offshore structures. DS&C completes around 1,300 repair and maintenance jobs annually.
Legal counsel – job description summary
The Legal Counsel will provide a broad range of legal advice and will actively participate in all tasks and work processes in Damen Holding’s Legal department. Primary focus will be to provide support on complex multi-jurisdictional contract negotiations with customers and suppliers all over the world.
Specific tasks at hand will be:
- Supports the sales team during negotiations with drafting contracts and aligning or revision of appendices of the commercial contract and ensures consistency with the terms and conditions of the subcontracts;
- Negotiate, review and/or draft documentation for (general) business transactions and provide contract management support in ongoing business projects;
- Provide legal advice to the business in all areas, including company law and company position and other corporate issues;
- Ensures compliance with company policies and applicable laws and regulations;
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal and external policies and procedures;
- Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with and manage external lawyers and/or legal advisors;
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities;
He or she will need to be entrepreneurial, dedicated, involved, hands-on and flexible.Tthe ability to think in terms of commercial solutions and strategic support will enable the Legal Counsel to be a successful business partner for colleagues in Sales, Production, R&D and Corporate within the Damen Group.
General profile specifics are:
- A qualified lawyer (Dutch Law) with 5-7 years of experience as an inhouse counsel or lawyer in a law firm ,
- Lawyer with strong experience in commercial contracting, both drafting and negotiations, preferably in an international (shipbuilding / offshore) business or (project and/or sales driven) manufacturing / construction business;
- Affinity with corporate/M&A projects, real estate contracts, legal risk management and compliance matters;
- An agile working style: highly skilled with a pro-active approach to problem solving;
- International, cultural and mental flexibility and a convincing attitude;
- The ability and willingness for potential long term international travel;
- Fluent in English and Dutch; German is preferred.
Fulltime position in Damen’s Legal team, at the heart of a client-focused, internationally respected and family-owned shipbuilder with strong Dutch roots. A business driven role with a truly global scope, including long distance travel and the option to work abroad for longer periods on challenging projects all over the world.
If the above appeals to you and you wish to apply or to receive further information, please contact Regien Haarbosch or Hielke Bruin via firstname.lastname@example.org or call +31 85 4880000.