07 feb Legal Counsel – Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding
About the company
Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS), established in Vlissingen has a rich tradition of naval shipbuilding with its original navy roots stemming back more than 140 years. At that time the Royal Schelde shipyard, based in Vlissingen in the Netherlands, was known worldwide for its quality shipbuilding, both in the naval and commercial sector.
Over the decades the emphasis on quality continued and in 2001 Damen Shipyards Group acquired Royal Schelde along with all of its subsidiaries. Following the acquisition, Damen then introduced its unique, standardised modular construction concept in Vlissingen too, allowing us to offer very fast delivery times.
Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding has delivered more than 400 vessels since 1875 to satisfied customers all over the world and have earned a reputation for excellence along the way. They have achieved this status by producing vessels that have a lifespan that far exceeds the average by offering cutting-edge technology and the most cost efficient design solutions.
Legal counsel – job description summary
Ensure legal conformity and provide legal advice and support on all legal aspects of the business. Ensures consistent legal advice, support and coordination of national & international proposals and contracts. Provides support to contract manager(s).
Specific tasks at hand will be:
- Draft, review and negotiate a full range of contracts, ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements
- Supports (sales, procurement e.g.) team(s) during negotiations with drafting / reviewing contracts and aligning or revision of appendixes of the main contract and ensures consistency with the terms and conditions
- Ensures compliance with company policies as all applicable (int.) laws and regulations
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal and external policies and procedures
- Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with and manage external lawyers and / or legal advisors and assists in court trials
- Supports the further professionalizing of company’s contract management through the whole contract life cycle
- Monitors contracts or any other documentation where the company has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the executive management’s attention
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities
- Negotiate, review and/or draft documentation for (general) business transactions and prepare and advise the management
He or she will need to be entrepreneurial, dedicated, hands-on and flexible; the ability to think in terms of commercial solutions and strategic support will enable the Legal Counsel to be a successful business partner for colleagues in (Senior) Management, Tender-team(s) and Production.
General profile specifics are:
- A qualified lawyer (Dutch Law) with at least 5-10 years PQE, predominantly as in-house counsel in a global operating company;
- Experience in preferable international shipbuilding business or manufacturing / construction business
- In-depth knowledge & experience of general in-company legal counsel practices
- International cultural and mental flexibility and a convincing attitude;
- The ability and willingness for potential long term international travel;
- Fluent in Dutch and English
Fulltime position in Damen’s Legal team, at the heart of a client-focused, internationally trading and family-owned shipbuilder with strong Dutch roots. A business driven role with a truly global scope, including long distance travel and the option to work abroad for longer periods on challenging projects all over the world.
If the above appeals to you and you wish to apply or to receive further information, please contact Peter Milders or Remco Feuth at Voxius Executive Search: email@example.com or call +3185 4880000.