21 apr Legal Counsel EMEA Region – Avery Dennison
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs more than 30,000 employees in over 50 countries. Reported sales in 2019 were $7.1 billion.
The EMEA headquarter, including the EMEA Legal Team, is based in the Netherlands (Leiden area) and supports all business units across the group within EMEA. The team is headed by the Vice President & Associate General Counsel EMEA, who leads a team of 5 professionals. Currently the legal department is expanding and seeks to recruit a highly collaborative, practical business-oriented Legal Counsel (7-10 year PQE).
As Legal Counsel you will provide and manage a full range of legal services supporting all of the company’s business divisions and operations throughout Western and Eastern Europe, Middle East and parts of Africa. You will be able to handle a wide range of legal matters, including day-to-day and complex legal projects. You will have a practical business and solution-oriented approach and will be highly collaborative, having strong values and ethics. The main responsibilities for this position will include, but not limited to;
- providing high quality legal services in a wide range of areas;
- supporting commercial transactions including as a key member of commercial teams advising on and drafting agreements (including e.g. distribution, sales, procurement, agency, license, confidentiality), engaging in critical negotiations with counter-parties;
- proactive litigation management including advice and strategy regarding avoiding or preparing for litigation, alternative dispute resolution and managing outside litigation costs;
- managing labor and employment law matters;
- leading or supporting (internal) investigations concerning values/ethics or governmental matters.
In this position you will be a key member of the EMEA regional team and will report to the Vice President & Associate General Counsel who leads the commercial law team of EMEA. Occasional travel within the region and overseas will be part of this position (10%).
- Dutch or equivalent qualified lawyer with 7-10 years working experience within an (international) commercial legal environment as an in-house legal counsel preferably combined with experience in private practice;
- extensive knowledge of (international) commercial contracting preferably in combination with knowledge of M&A, litigation and cross-functional projects; experienced in or strong knowledge of one or more of the following areas is considered a strong plus: assessing, advising and managing regulatory matters to achieve business objectives, (product) compliance and/or employment law;
- ability to plan and carry-out complex and sensitive internal investigations;
- pragmatic, independent, curious, pro-active, and collaborative, able to handle multiple matters simultaneously in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment;
- strong and ambitious personality, teamplayer with a keen business acumen, good communication skills and an international mindset;
- fluent command of English (both oral as in writing) and Dutch, knowledge of German and/or French is considered a plus.
A challenging position for an ambitious legal professional being one of the senior sparring partners in the EMEA Legal Team. Working in an international, innovative and collaborative environment with many possibilities for growth in position and person.
If the above appeals to you and you wish to apply to receive any further information, please contact Regien Haarbosch or Judith van Haersma Buma at Voxius. Discretion is guaranteed.