08 apr Senior Legal Counsel – GKN Aerospace
About the company
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. Fokker Technologies was acquired by GKN Aerospace in 2015, and Fokker is now fully integrated into the GKN Aerospace business. GKN Aerospace has 50 manufacturing locations in 15 countries, serving over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. The company designs and manufactures innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Their technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the team
As a Senior Legal Counsel within the Civil Airframe business you work in a global role where you will report into and provide senior level support to the Head of Legal (based in the UK) on a range of multi-jurisdictional issues with particular focus on all matters relevant to the Netherlands. You are part of a team of 11 people, based on sites in the UK, US, Netherlands, and China. In this role you are part of creating a new legal approach within the organization. You will work primarily on civil matters, but you will also be required to support on defense projects and will have the ability to have the required security clearance to be able to do so. As you are the sole counsel of The Netherlands, you’ll feel comfortable operating on significant issues with little supervision. You will effectively advise senior stakeholders and deputize for the Head of Legal where required. You will be based in Papendrecht and travel occasionally to other NL/UK sites.
About the job
While you will be expected to support on a wide variety of legal issues that arise in the Netherlands, the main focus of the role will be:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex international contracts with both customers and suppliers
- Supporting the Commercial team on customer engagements and the Procurement / Supply Chain teams on supplier issues
- Contentious matters with both customers and suppliers
- Corporate governance, including some company secretarial matters
- Regulatory issues
You will act as a local contact point for the senior leadership of the Civil Airframe business based in the Netherlands.
Additionally you will also assist the Head of Legal in the roll out of the new legal approach and reporting, support your colleagues in finding answers to legal questions themselves, provide training when needed, share best practices, manage different stakeholders etc.
In order to be successful in this job you will have:
- A Master’s Degree in law acquired in the legal jurisdiction of the Netherlands;
- At least 8 years PQE, with experience at both a top tier law firm and in-house, ideally with experience in aerospace or manufacturing industries;
- Significant experience in advising on a range of highly complex technical legal and compliance issues;
- Experience in advising and working with senior stakeholders;
- The ability to work efficiently, able to identify, focus and prioritise key legal/compliance matters
- A strong and independent personality, with the ability to operate on significant issues with little supervision but being able to recognize which issues require support or escalation to the Head of Legal;
- The capability to identify, work with and influence key internal and external stakeholders and be an effective and skilled communicator;
- Integrity and courage; ability to challenge effectively and to deliver tough messages;
- The ability to understand -besides the legal aspects- the technical, financial and commercial aspects of legal issues and able to offer pragmatic, commercially focused advice;
- Ability to adapt and succeed against a background of change or uncertainty;
- Outstanding negotiating skills and good command of Dutch and English; and
- A Dutch passport is a prerequisite due to contracts with the Dutch Government.
A dynamic job within a global team in an innovative environment. A good work-life balance is considered important and you have the opportunity to work partly from home. Excellent work conditions, a competitive salary, pension plan among other benefits.
Discretion is guaranteed.