17 sep Compliance Associate/Corporate Secretary – GMO (Successfully filled)
GMO is a private partnership committed to delivering superior investment performance and advice to their clients. The company is positioned to add the greatest value for their investors. These include multi-asset class portfolios as well as dedicated equity, fixed income, and absolute return offerings, many of which employ the firm’s proprietary 7-year asset class forecasting framework. Their client base is comprised primarily of institutions, including corporate and public defined benefit and defined contribution retirement plans, endowments, foundations, and financial intermediaries. GMO, whose sole business is investment management, employs approximately 500 people worldwide and is headquartered in Boston with offices in San Francisco, London, Amsterdam, Sydney, and Singapore. The company manages roughly $70 billion in client assets using a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches that blend traditional insights with innovative methods to identify undervalued asset classes and securities. GMO’s valuation-based approach embeds several key factors, including: a long-term investment horizon, discipline, conviction, and a commitment to research. The research emphasizes not only identifying and exploiting pricing dislocations but also understanding the long-term drivers of return in the markets in which they invest. GMO is known for sharing their views with clients and for their willingness to take bold, differentiated positions when opportunities warrant.
This role is located in our London office, joining the current UK based Legal and Compliance team and offers an opportunity to gain exposure to a broad range of company secretarial/compliance duties with oversight from the Senior Compliance Officer and Legal Adviser. Compliance is integrated within the culture of the firm and centrally located in our open plan environment. This facilitates continuous interaction with the teams in both London and Amsterdam that we support. The successful candidate will gain exposure to Dutch, Irish, UK and SEC regulated business environments. Key Responsibilities:
- Facilitate the smooth running of senior management systems and controls for GMO UK and GMO Netherlands - Prepare Board materials for the Boards of GMO Netherlands, GMO UK, GMO Europe and GMO’s Irish funds and respective committees - Attend Board and committee meetings and prepare minutes, action items and attend to regulatory filings - Liaise with Operations team and Irish funds service providers on Compliance matters - Manage the Compliance Calendar to monitor all tasks are performed on a timely basis;
- Participate in the Compliance Monitoring Programme including recurring reviews of compliance and controls against business activities together with the Compliance Officer;
- Review financial promotions, marketing materials and RFP responses;
- Maintain legal archives and client relationship database with up to date compliance documentation
- Update and implement Compliance policies and procedures and devise and carry out the training of other members of staff as appropriate;
- Support the Compliance Department in ensuring the firm and its employees comply with all regulatory requirements and the firm’s Code of Ethics;
- Provide secondary support for on-boarding process management, including: - Perform client AML/KYC checks - Ensure the firm is up to date on anti-money laundering developments - Liaise with GMO Boston on global AML initiatives - Ensure prompt and clear flow of on-boarding documents for the Compliance Department.
- University degree in law;
- Fluency or working knowledge of Dutch an advantage;
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in company secretarial/compliance (AML) and/or regulatory law environment;
- Hands on attitude and aptitude – Compliance is a service department;
- Strong organisational skills, a preference for orderliness and good proof-reading skills;
- Good problem solving, numeric, writing and communication skills;
- General understanding of and interest in learning the investment business;
- Self-starter with ability to work autonomously or as part of a team;
- Proactive and motivated, able to spot needs and willing to step in and help;
- Enjoys interfacing with people and delivering under pressure; and
- Ability to take ownership of responsibilities and continually perform new responsibilities.
The Compliance Associate position at GMO is a challenging and rewarding role within a truly international environment at one of the most respected investment firms in the world. Competitive compensation & benefit package.