06 sep Legal Counsel – DSM Engineering Plastics (DEP) (Successfully filled)
Royal DSM is a global science-based company active in health, nutrition and materials. By connecting its unique competences in life sciences and materials sciences DSM is driving economic prosperity, environmental progress and social advances to create sustainable value for all stakeholders simultaneously. DSM delivers innovative solutions that nourish, protect and improve performance in global markets such as food and dietary supplements, personal care, feed, medical devices, automotive, paints, electrical and electronics, life protection, alternative energy and bio-based materials. DSM and its associated companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 25,000 employees. The company is listed on Euronext Amsterdam.
To strengthen the legal team in The Netherlands, we are looking for an enthusiastic, experienced, self-propelling Legal Counsel for DSM Engineering Plastics, location Brightlands, Geleen.
DSM Engineering Plastics (DEP) is a Business Group in the Materials cluster of Koninklijke DSM NV and is a global supplier of high-performance engineering thermoplastic solutions. It has a focused portfolio, with global leadership positions in many of its products in the areas of high-performance plastics, such as Stanyl®, Arnite® and Akulon®. DEP addresses key markets in automotive and electronics, and provides solutions to specialized industries including water management, breathable textiles and flexible food packaging.
Group Legal Affairs (GLA) is a global service department within DSM with some 55 legal counsel worldwide. Besides providing legal advice to DSM’s operational business groups (like DEP), GLA also supports service units and corporate departments, such as Human Resources, Tax, Finance, Innovation, Risk Management, and Sourcing. GLA is headquartered in The Netherlands while its legal counsel often are located with their internal customers. All legal counsel report hierarchically within GLA, and meet with their legal colleagues regularly.
In this international business-to-business environment, you will work on contracts relevant for the development, manufacturing, sales and distribution of the materials of DEP. You will participate in projects with DEP’s customers, technology providers and universities, describing the envisaged co-operation and the proper use of the innovative know-how, trade secrets, trademarks and/or patents of DSM and its partners. Legal questions related to the operation of a manufacturing site in the Netherlands or abroad (like permits, construction, safety, force majeure events and labour law) could also need your attention. As provider of general legal services, you will participate in rolling out DSM wide corporate governance programs. Company law, trade control, anti-bribery and corruption, corporate housekeeping matters, at times litigation, as well as competition law will be part of your daily practice. For this position it is essential to have the drive to really understand the business (what kinds of products are made, what are the risks, who are the competitors, etc.), so you can give proper legal advice. It is also important that you have good communication skills and a strong personality. It is not the issue of saying no to the business, as a supporter of the business you also have to think of other responsive and still compliant commercial ways and possibilities to make it work.
You will become the dedicated legal business partner for DEP’s business focussed on Europe while supporting DEP’s Globald lead counsel when and where needed. In consultation with DEP’s lead counsel you will also support other activities of DSM outside DEP. You will report to DEP’s lead counsel and will become part of the GLA team responsible for The Netherlands. You will work in the offices of DEP in the DSM Materials Center at the Brightlands Campus in Geleen.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- To support the DEP strategy and operations by giving pro-active, professional, competent, (cost) effective, consistent and solution oriented legal support and advice;
- To draft, negotiate and advise on contracts and contract related documents, in order to (i) correctly formulate and incorporate the chosen (commercial) position of DEP and protect the company against potential exposures, (ii) achieve a thorough understanding by commercial and other staff involved in a contract of the specific opportunities, risks, dangers, regulations and obligations relating to such contract and (iii) have such contract comply with applicable laws and regulations and relevant requirements and policies of DEP;
- To act as a value adding business partner;
- To enhance compliance with applicable laws and regulations and to pro-actively create and maintain awareness of employees of (compliance with) applicable laws and regulations;
- To act as custodian of all legal aspects within the DEP organization in Europe;
- To ensure consistent implementation of relevant corporate requirements and high quality legal advice;
- Keep up to date with actual developments in relevant legislation, regulations and jurisprudence in the materials sciences industry.
- Master degree in law (Dutch or foreign);
- 4 – 8 years of relevant experience as in-house counsel and/or at a law firm in an international environment;
- A strong personality, at ease communicating in an international setting, solid backbone and a decisive, pro-active attitude;
- Clear legal mindset and able to translate legal language into actionable advice;
- Proficiency in the English language;
- Interest in the materials science industry, keen to learn and grow into the DSM organization;
- Ability to set priorities and to reduce complicated matters to the essence;
- A healthy degree of political sensitivity and a mindset for teamwork.
A challenging and rewarding position within one of the world’s leading science based companies and an environment that offers excellent opportunities for personal growth. Good compensation and benefit package.