08 Sep Senior Director Legal & Compliance – Lumileds (CLOSED)
Lumileds is the global light engine leader, delivering innovative, high-quality and sustainable LED and automotive lighting products that enable the inventors of next generation illumination to create truly breakthrough products.
Building on 100 years of industry firsts, including the first LED backlit TV and the first LED flash in camera phones, Lumileds develops game-changing lighting technologies—while maintaining the end-to-end supply chain that customers have come to rely on. Lumileds’ automotive lighting product innovations included the first dual filament lamp in 1924 to the first LED daytime running lights and front-turning headlamps for cars in 1988. Lumileds is dedicated to creating best-in-class lighting solutions that make drivers safer on the road—including lamps that never need replacement and bright, clear headlights that improve visibility. Lumileds has operations in more than 30 countries and offers employment to more than 9,000 employees worldwide.
As Senior Director Legal & Compliance you will be a legal business partner in a wide variety of corporate, legal and compliance matters and in your role you will assist the SVP General Counsel (the ‘SVP GC’) in being the leader for providing legal support to all aspects of Lumileds’ LED components and automotive lighting businesses in the EMEA jurisdictions (the ‘Region’) ranging from general contract law matters, manufacturing operations, to procurement, finance and corporate activities, which involves a broad spectrum of legal, regulatory, compliance and corporate matters. Apart from the aforementioned legal role in the Region you will work closely with the SVP GC in a global role to share responsibilities for all legal compliance related activities, which include: managing Lumileds’ Global Code of Ethics and Speak Up helpline (whistleblower tool) program, fulfilling the role of the company’s Global Privacy Officer (‘GPO’), in close cooperation with the SVP GC and assisted by a network of Local Compliance Officers, Privacy Leads and team members of the global legal team, you will be leading our global non-compliancy investigations, roll out and training for specific legal compliancy topics (such as: Gifts & Hospitality, Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption, Anti-Trust).
Key responsibilities will include:
- Provide proactive solution oriented advices to the business and senior (including Executive) management
- Manage your own team of in-house lawyers for the Region and team up with other legal team members and other staff departments (including Human Resources) for support in compliance activities
- Support the business owners in negotiating and draft a wide variety of contracts and other documents
- Manage outside counsel effectively
- Support the SVP GC in corporate strategic projects (financing, shareholder engagement, company structure, reporting to private equity) in order to effectively execute services. Take the lead in preparing needed documentation, executive summaries and gathering required signatures within the global group
- Support the SVP GC in projects in order to effectively execute and deploy the developed regulatory, compliance and legal strategies. Take the lead in the establishment and launch of Lumileds’ legal templates, guidance papers and best practices
- Deployment of Lumileds’ own set of Binding Corporate Rules and adjust the implemented GDPR compliant Privacy Program. Be the company’s main point of contact for all data privacy related questions globally.
- Strategic planning and risk assessment for global compliance programs and effectively and pragmatically implement and maintain compliance procedures & policies into the companies operations
- Develop and deploy trainings in various formats (classroom, town hall, e-learning) for legal compliance topics
- Jointly with the SVP GC ensure confidential, quick and professional handling of compliance complaints
- Provide the companies Compliance Board with solicited and unsolicited advice on legal compliance projects, risks assessments and specific compliance topics and investigations. Also act as the Compliance Board secretary
- Coordinate and work closely with other members of the Lumileds corporate legal team to ensure consistent application of Lumileds policies, standards and processes including its compliance program
- Instruct, liaise with and supervise external counsel law firms globally where Lumileds has business operations in business smart (and costs efficient) manner
A business savvy, no-nonsense, decisive and hands-on professional with academic background and a track record of success in a growth and evolving enterprise. In particular:
- Master Degree of Law (LLM) from Dutch university
- Minimum of 12 years’ experience gained in both a leading Dutch/international law firm and a multinational company with significant in-house experience in the Netherlands or any other European jurisdiction. Experience in the semiconductor industry or automotive industry strongly preferred
- Proven track record of managerial experience and strong project management skills
- International mindset and strong business sense (eye for both company interests and legal principles). Demonstrated maturity, interpersonal skills, influencing skills, judgment and functional expertise when solving legal issues and dealing with both internal and external stakeholders
- Understand the different cultural sensitivities in different legal systems and ability to develop and maintain strong working relationship with cross-functional stakeholders of different seniority and from different cultural background
- Solid knowledge of (international) commercial contract law and relevant legal compliance topics
- Able to independently provide pro-active legal advice on a wide variety of matters
- Excellent drafting skills (including ability to comfortably draft agreements, correspondence and other business materials from scratch) and extensive experience of leading contractual negotiations
- Flexible, accurate and hands-on mentality with analytical skills
- A solution-oriented team player who is accountable to take action and deliver results in the most effective manner
- Ability to lead, train and coach younger team members
- Business oriented pragmatic, integer, entrepreneurial, open-minded, assertive, proactive, flexible, practical and creative
- Ability and willingness for intercontinental travel (up to 20%)
- Drive collaboration (and work effectively with and win confidence of diverse stakeholders) in a global environment respecting the different time zones (i.e. Asia, Europe, Americas) that has a positive impact on business performance
- Ability to self-start, multiple-task and prioritize assignments and assume accountability for meeting deadlines and completion of projects
- Impeccable integrity, with high standard of personal and professional values
- Fluency in English and Dutch language (spoken and written). A third language is an advantage (preferably German or French)
The Senior Director Legal & Compliance at Lumileds is a challenging and rewarding position in a fast-paced, cutting-edge, intelligent and truly international environment. You will be leading the legal team at Schiphol and will be part of an international team with in-house lawyers based in Shanghai (China), San José (USA), Aachen (Germany).