Legal Director Offshore Energy – Van Oord (Procedure closed)Van Oord is a Dutch family-owned company with more than 150 years of experience as an international marine contractor. We are seeking to recruit a seasoned lawyer to lead their legal department to a higher level and to manage growth and profitability within solid risk management boundaries.
As Legal Director within the Offshore Energy department, you provide guidance to a team of 35 specialized lawyers and contract managers
Van Oord is a Dutch family-owned company with more than 150 years of experience as an international marine contractor. The focus is on dredging and marine construction, offshore wind, offshore infrastructure and infrastructure in the Netherlands. Its head office is in Rotterdam. Van Oord employs 4,700 staff, who worked on 187 projects in 35 countries in 2021. The fleet consists of about 70 vessels and a large amount of special-purpose and auxiliary equipment. Van Oord delivers marine ingenuity by using smart, innovative and sustainable solutions to create a better world for future generations.
As Legal Director within the Offshore Energy department, you provide guidance to a team of 35 specialized lawyers and contract managers. Van Oord Offshore Energy is expected to double its turnover in 2030. This is done within a complicated contractual environment.
We are seeking to recruit a seasoned lawyer to lead their legal department to a higher level and to manage growth and profitability within solid risk management boundaries.
As Legal Director Offshore Energy you will be responsible for:
- Managing and developing the Van Oord’s Offshore Energy Legal team of 35 professionals;
- Providing tangible and hands-on legal advice on strategic commercial initiatives and commercial contracts (tenders, offers and negotiations);
- Monitoring and ensuring proper application of and compliance with policies and procedures;
- Maintaining and improving standard template agreements, including identifying new types of transactions that require a standardized or alternative legal approach;
- Promoting and executing cross-functional and international collaboration;
- Proactive support and assistance of the Leadership Team and the business with the opportunities ahead among others by shaping the (legal) strategy and identification, assessment, and management of legal and contractual risks;
- Providing legal support to management in case of disputes.
- LLB, BSc or MSc degree in law and a specialist in construction and engineering law;
- Qualified to practice as a lawyer in one or more relevant jurisdictions is an added benefit.
- At least 15 years of experience, including solid experience with the offshore (wind) and/or construction and engineering sector as a senior legal counsel in an international company, or as a partner/senior associate in private practice (preferably at an international law firm);
- Experience in leading, managing and supervising Legal teams;
- Well acquainted with the offshore (wind) sector;
- Negotiated global FIDIC, LOGIC and NEC based contracts;
- Experience with both contentious and non-contentious work;
- Experience working across borders, in multiple jurisdictions.
Analytical, results driven and getting things done. Negotiation skills in a global environment. Excellent communication skills and general business experience. High level of stakeholder management. Excellent command of written and spoken English.
Van Oord strives to be a High-Performance Organization which is performance driven, agile, collaborative and with a focus on people and customers. Leadership supports this, creates connection, builds bridges and engages teams.
- Flourishes in a fast-paced, large scale projects, international environment;
- Ambitious, visionary, pragmatic;
- Builds and energizes a team through trust, integrity, strength of vision, and enthusiasm;
- Eye for detail, work with a high degree of accuracy;
- Hands-on, quick thinker, entrepreneurial mindset;
- Inspires and aligns people and knows how to convince senior decision-makers;
- Performance-oriented, able to set high standards, first-time-right execution;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Thinks in strategic and tactical terms;
- Excellent communication skills.
A challenging full-time position with a lot of freedom and responsibility
Van Oord offers you:
- A challenging leadership position within a top tier global operating company;
- A great opportunity to contribute to the future of the maritime construction industry and the transition to green energy;
- Competitive salary commensurate with your experience, lease car, annual bonus and beneficial pension schemes + relocation package, including visa application if necessary;
- Great work-life balance (with at least 32 days of leave each year);
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work partially from home;
- Located in Gorinchem, the Netherlands. Global travel is part of the job.