03 jun Senior Legal Counsel – Sabic
SABIC is a global diversified chemicals company, with more than 32,000 employees and with manufacturing, sales, technology and innovation facilities located in around 50 countries across the globe. It manufactures on a global scale in the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific, making chemicals, plastics and other basic materials for a broad range of applications. SABIC’s customers are the companies that make everything around us. SABIC helps them make it better. From electronics to construction, from agriculture to mining, from personal and medical care to computer hardware. From South Africa’s World Cup® stadiums, to the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. From securing the world’s food supply, to exploring new frontiers. SABIC’s commitment to innovation drives its progress on the development of sustainable products, operations and business models and helps SABIC contribute to solving society’s most pressing challenges. SABIC recognizes the profound effects of climate change and the equally profound opportunity for business to take a leading role in carving the path toward a low-carbon economy. SABIC has embedded sustainability at the core of its work and as an example, is working to advocate, and stimulate the right conditions, for creating a circular economy for plastics and closing the loop taking used household packaging and turning it into new materials to be used again. SABIC’s certified circular products contribute towards a new value chain, to upcycle used mixed plastic back to the original polymer. The Legal Affairs Department for the region Europe consists of 11 lawyers and is responsible for all-round legal support to all of SABIC’s activities in/out of Europe.
Our client currently has a vacancy for a highly motivated and business driven Senior Legal Counsel at SABIC’s European headquarters in Sittard reporting to the Senior Manager Legal Affairs.
As a Senior Legal Counsel, you’ll be part of a global legal affairs team consisting of more than 100 people worldwide and you will provide all-round legal support to several business units and corporate functions of SABIC in Europe, for which you will have substantially independent responsibility. Your scope of work will be diverse and you will be working closely with the relevant businesses and functions within SABIC in Europe and in other regions. The drafting and negotiation of international commercial contracts such as sales, procurement and supply chain related agreements with major counterparties in different jurisdictions will be a key part of your role, as well as providing legal support to SABIC’s site operations. You will also be involved in intercompany projects in cooperation with colleagues in other regions and functions and you will contribute to initiatives in the field of compliance.
- A European qualified lawyer (Master degree) with at least 10 years PQE as an in-house counsel and/or in private practice in an international setting, ideally with experience in an international chemical company or related industry;
Extensive experience in drafting and reviewing complex international commercial contracts, an outstanding negotiator;
- General knowledge of competition law, experience with (regulatory) compliance and advising (chemical) site operations is a plus;
- An international, independent, pragmatic, pro-active and result-oriented attitude;
- Effective communicator on all levels, able to manage and advise different stakeholders;
- Good business sense and interest to be involved in business projects;
- Advise on general commercial law issues to enhance the company’s competitive position and manage commercial risks;
- Able to operate in a multi-cultural and multi-jurisdictional environment;
- Proficient in English (working language). Knowledge of Dutch or one or more other European languages is considered a plus.
The position of Senior Legal Counsel offers a unique opportunity for candidates with an international commercial background and the wish to be part of a global innovative company within a global legal team. Highly competitive compensation & benefits package and state of the art work place conditions.